I started following a new blog recently, The Literary Counsellor. I like her book reviews and reading updates, but she also has a few funs ones, like 100 Questions No One Ever Asks. It was interesting to read, so I thought I’d answer the questions, too.
1. Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed? Closed. Because of the monsters.
2. Do you take the shampoos and conditioner bottles from hotels? No. They’re always harsh and overly perfumed, so I avoid them like the plague.
3. Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out? In. Do you want the monsters under the bed to eat my toes?
4. Have you stolen a street sign before? No. I’ve never understood the novelty of a dirty street sign. I’d much rather steal flowers, thought I’ve never done that either as I can imagine an avid gardener being heartbroken at the loss of a budding beauty they’d been keeping an eye on.
5. Do you like to use post-it notes? Yes, I most certainly do. I try not to use them, too much, because it seems like such a waste to have a piece of paper with one side half covered in glue, but they’re pretty damned useful.
6. Do you cut out coupons but then never use them? I used to, but then I got tired of a wallet full of useless paper. Plus, I changed my shopping habits, so it’s now rare that I find coupons for anything I actually need. I do sometimes use the e-coupons I can add to my rewards cards.
7. Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of bees? I feel like I have a significantly higher chance of survival with the bees.
8. Do you have freckles? Nope.
9. Do you always smile for pictures? Not all the time. I also don’t smile all the time in real life (not because I’m not content/happy, but because I just don’t feel the need to walk around with a grin glued to my face). I smile if it’s meant to be a nice picture for someone else, but I don’t always bother on the rare occasion that I take a selfie.
10. What is your biggest pet peeve? It’s a toss up between people who don’t listen and people who think they own the whole sidewalk.
11. Do you ever count your steps when you walk? Nah. I’m too busy watching for birds and clouds and pretty patterns and ice that I might slip on.
12. Have you peed in the woods? Yes.
13. Have you ever pooped in the woods? No. I’ve been lucky to always have a toilet or outhouse at my disposal at times of need.
14. Do you ever dance even if there’s no music playing? The occasional happy dance, but generally I don’t dance even if there is music.
15. Do you chew your pens and pencils? I used to chew on pens and pen caps like my life depended on it, but not anymore.
16. How many people have you slept with this week? None. I get the bed all to myself. It’s pretty fantastic.
17. What size is your bed? Double.
18. What is your song of the week? I’ve been pretty obsessed with 101 Vultures, by Alex Winston. This version is my favourite.
19. Is it OK for guys to wear pink? Yes. Is it ok for girls to wear blue? Did you know that, this pastel/pink/blue/nonsense is a relatively modern thing? Did you know that this question is sexist because it is based on the idea that someone can’t wear a colour because of their gender?
There’s an interesting article about it on the Smithsonian’s website, which notes that there was some debate, at one point, noting that one 1918 article stated:
The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.
20. Do you still watch cartoons? Not really. I love a good animated movies, but that’s pretty much it.
21. What is your least favorite movie? I don’t know. I don’t watch that many movies and tend to stop watching if I don’t like them. I think that last truly terrible movie I watched was Star Wars Episode 2. I made it thought Episode 1, but barely made it half way through Episode 2. I didn’t even bother with Episode 3. The originals (Episodes 4-6) are great.
22. Where would you bury hidden treasure if you had some? Well, if I told you, I’d have to kill you, but it’s possible that it would be at or near the family cottage.
23. What do you drink with dinner? At this time of year, tea and water. Actually, it’s always tea and water, but I tend to stick with iced tea in the summer and hot tea in the winter.
24. What do you dip a chicken nugget in? I don’t remember where I learned this habit, but I like plum sauce with chicken (or, fake-chicken, as the case may be) fingers/nuggets.
25. What is your favorite food? Oh, god. How could I choose just one favourite?! I have lots of favourites. Raspberries, cheese, chocolate, avocado, pb on toast, honey on toast, Ambrosia apples, more cheese, …
26. What movies could you watch over and over again and still love? I tend to re-watch my favourite Studio Ghibli movies at least once or twice a year. I’m also very fond of a number of Wes Anderson movies. And, all variations of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
27. Last person you kissed/kissed you? Romantic kiss? It’s been ages. Regular kiss? Probably my niece, which was (sadly) months ago. I’m pretty sure my canine cousin kissed me last time I visited his mom (my human cousin). I’m sure I’ll get more canine kisses at Christmas.
28. Were you ever a boy/girl scout? I did Girl Guides, but I didn’t stay in it. I can’t remember why, but I think I only lasted a year or so after moving up from Brownies.
29. Would you ever strip or pose nude in a magazine? Nope. I’m quite private and like to keep my bits to myself and people who are special.
30. When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper? I do this fairly regularly, as send cards/letters to my niece and nephew each month, though I could certainly be better about writing to friends.
31. Can you change the oil on a car? I can’t even drive a car.
32. Ever gotten a speeding ticket? See question #31.
33. Ever ran out of gas? See question #31. .. Oh, except that I was in a car driven by someone else when it ran out of gas in the middle of the MacKay Bridge (Halifax, NS). That was interesting. They gently pushed the car off the bridge with their truck (or, was it a rover?) so that we wouldn’t block traffic.
34. What’s your favorite kind of sandwich? I love a good full sandwich with cheese, greens, thinly sliced apples and maybe a bit of hummus. My guilty (read: I can’t believe I’m admitting this) pleasure, which I never eat because I can’t help thinking it’s hugely unhealthy, is cheese and mayo (Miracle Whip works best with cheese).
35. Best thing to eat for breakfast? I’m a huge fan of eggs, tomatoes, and mayo on toast. Bonus points if there’s a few avocado slices. I try to eat this for Sunday breakfast at least once in awhile. And, I tend to have a small helping of scrambled eggs and avocado for breakfast each morning.
36. What is your usual bedtime? Around 9-9:30PM to crawl into bed to read and around 10-10:30PM to pretend like I can pry myself away from my book to sleep.
37. Are you lazy? Y
38. When you were a kid, what did you dress up as for Halloween? Mostly sad variations of fairies and princesses. Dressing up for Halloween was never something that I was overly dedicated to.
39. What is your Chinese astrological sign? The rabbit. The Wood Rabbit, apparently.
40. How many languages can you speak? One and a half? I’m not awful at French, but I’ve lost a lot of the fluency I had after high school (I was in French Immersion).
41. Do you have any magazine subscriptions? Yes. House & Home (I have a weakness for decor, but I won’t be renewing this one) and Uppercase, which is an amazing magazine full of creativity. I don’t read them all, but I love flipping through them.
42. Which are better: legos or lincoln logs? Legos!
43. Are you stubborn? I can be very stubborn, especially when pushed.
44. Who is better: Leno or Letterman? Don’t know, don’t care.
45. Ever watch soap operas? Only long enough to discover that they are dreadful and ridiculous.
46. Are you afraid of heights? No. In fact, I love the thrill of views from up high. I prefer to enjoy heights behind the safety of a window, railing, etc.
47. Do you sing in the car? See question #31
48. Do you sing in the shower? No. I sometimes think that I would if I lived in a house. In my current apartment, the vent in the bathroom makes the shower the one place where my neighbour can hear me, and I’m too shy to sing for an audience.
49. Do you dance in the car? See question #31
50. Ever used a gun? No. A friend offered to let me try. I declined and sometimes I feel like I should regret not at least trying, but I have a mild phobia of such things in my hands as don’t trust myself to not make a fatal (to someone else) mistake. I feel much the same about cars. Which partially explains question #31
51. Last time you got a portrait taken by a photographer? A year or two before my mom died, at Sears, because she wanted a portrait of us “kids.” So, that was about 16 years ago.
52. Do you think musicals are cheesy? Some are. But, some are also incredible feats of music, drama, and skill.
53. Is Christmas stressful? Yes, and no. I find the gift giving aspect stressful, which is the only reasons I don’t go into debt buying presents for everyone. But, all the rest (the family, the fun, etc.) is pretty fantastic. And, sometimes totally hilarious.
54. Ever eat a pierogi? Hell yes. I think it might be a requirement for anyone who moves to Edmonton because of the large Ukrainian community. I have only had “real” perogies once or twice (and store bought ones several times). They are damned delicious. I don’t think it’s the traditional way to eat them, but I love them with sauteed onions and plain yogurt.
55. Favorite type of fruit pie? Apple, apple, apple, apple, and maybe blueberry. But, mostly apple because it’s good with a slice of cheddar.
56. Occupations you wanted to be when you were a kid? Artist. Teacher. Briefly, accountant (because that’s what my uncle does and I thought he was cool). Marine biologist(except I suspect I knew the occupation as “people who study the ocean and fish and such”).
57. Do you believe in ghosts? No. And, I feel a bit guilty about that because my mom did and I feel like saying that I don’t sort of also says that mom was being silly.
58. Ever have a Deja-vu feeling? Yep. All the time when I was a teen.
59. Do you take a vitamin daily? Sort of. Current science says that we don’t need multi-vitamins as much as we need healthy diets. Some science has also suggests that they may not be useful, or even good for you. That all said, science says that I, someone living somewhere where days are short in the winter, should take Vitamin D during the winter, so I generally do for a few months.
60. Do you wear slippers? Oh, hell yes. I keep my apartment cool (sometimes cold) in the winter, so I have two pairs (warm ones and even warmer ones) and a pair of cozy wool socks that I will sometimes add.
61. Do you wear a bath robe? No. I just pull on a sweater or sweatshirt.
62. What do you wear to bed? The equivalent of summer pjs. Even in the winter (I’d rather add more blankets than more clothes). Being someone who tosses and turns a lot, I find that long pjs or nightgowns are a freaking nightmare.
63. What was your first concert? I can’t remember, but it would have probably been a smallish local concert (maybe even a local or indie band).
64. Walmart, Target, or Kmart? None of the above, but if I had to choose, whichever has the best union and is most Canadian.
65. Nike or Adidas? I think my current sneakers are New Balance or Adidas. Nikes are awful for my wide feet. Also, I prefer hiking, so Keens or Salomans.
66. Cheetos or Fritos? Cheetos. Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever had Fritos.
67. Peanuts or Sunflower seeds? Peanuts!
68. Ever hear of the group Tres Bien? No, but I know what “très bien” means.
69. Ever take dance lessons? Yes. I did belly dance lessons for a while, several years ago.
70. Is there a profession you picture your future spouse doing? I don’t even picture a future spouse, so no.
71. Can you curl your tongue? Yes.
72. Ever won a spelling bee? Oh, god, no. I was a terrible speller when I was young.
73. Have you ever cried because you were so happy? Yes.
74. Own any record albums? No, but ask me about the 900 strong vinyl collection my dad had back in the day! It was stored in my bedroom, so I got to admire all the covers.
75. Own a record player? No, but dad had a pretty sweet set-up when we were kids. And, my grandparents has a nifty contraption that looked my a sideboard, but was actually a hidden record player and speakers.
76. Do you regularly burn incense? No. I used to, but I find it a bit strong. My neighbour does, which is nice as I get a faint whiff of it.
77. Ever been in love? I don’t think that I have. I’ve been very fond of people, but I don’t think I’ve ever been in love. The one time I cried over a boy, it was because of the stress of breaking up with him and how bad I felt when he told me how much he loved me.
This might explain why I don’t bother with dating. The few years that I did, I didn’t find anyone that made the effort of dating worthwhile.
I’ve had a few good crushes, but they always end with me realizing that it would be a cold day in hell before I would be willing to date the real (read: not romanticized) version of the person in question.
78. Who would you like to see in concert? Ug, concerts are so loud. But, if it was just a wee quiet gathering, I would not complain about seeing City and Colour. Or, Ray LaMontagne.
79. What was the last concert you saw? Couldn’t tell you. It’s been ages and ages. Frankly, I’d rather listen to music at home.
My dad once took me (and a friend?) to an all ages concert. The band was really good and I really enjoyed the music, but we (the underage people) were forced into a section where there weren’t any tables and I really just wanted to sit and listen. Instead, I stood there, enjoying the music and, apparently, looking really bored and unhappy (resting bitchface!).
80. Hot tea or cold tea? Both. It depends on the season. But, not the crap orange pekoe or early grey that everyone drinks. I like herbal, white, or green teas.
81. Tea or coffee? Tea and nothing but tea. Coffee is gross (but smells good).
82. Sugar cookies or snickerdoodles? I’m definitely a sugar cookie gal. Snickerdoodles are nice, but I prefer the less spiced, more frosted sugar cookies.
83. Can you swim well? It’s been ages, but I was always a pretty good swimmer. I’m not fast or particularly strong, but I did well enough and could play in the water for hours.
84. Can you hold your breath without holding your nose? Yes. There are people who can’t? I don’t like water up my nose, but I can do it.
85. Are you patient? With some things, very much so. With other things, no effing way!
86. DJ or band at a wedding? How about no wedding.
Kidding! If it was mine and I had all the money in the world, I’d prefer a band. Something folksy.
87. Ever won a contest? Nothing major, just little draws at school or whatnot. When I was in grade school I wrote a poem in French that won a contest. I believe I won a French copy of Anne of Green Gables.
88. Have you ever had plastic surgery? Nope.
89. Which are better: black or green olives? Both are yucky, but black olives are more yucky.
90. Can you knit or crochet? I can knit, but not very well.
91. Best room for a fireplace? Living room, where everyone can enjoy it and you can snuggle up on the sofa to read and sip tea.
92. Do you want to get married? I’m pretty neutral to the idea. I would if I found someone wonderful who was set on getting married, but I wouldn’t bother, otherwise.
93. If married, how long have you been married? N/A
94. Who was your high school crush? I had a couple. All of whom shall remain nameless.
95. Do you cry and throw a fit until you get your own way? No. That’s so tacky. Also, I’m too macho to cry in front of others. So, if you see me cry, they are honest tears of true despair (or joy!).
96. Do you have kids? Nope.
97. Do you want kids? No. I used to think I did and I think that I would have made a good parent, but I’m good with just having my marvelous niblings in my life. I love them to pieces, but appreciate not having to be responsible for their upbringing.
98. What is your favorite color? Dark blue, but I love so many colours. Like green, teal, deep pink, and purple.
99. Do you miss anyone right now? My niblings (niece and nephew).
100. Who are you going to tag to do this video/post next? No one. I never tag people because I’d rather not make someone feel obliged to do this. If you decide to do this, let me know in the comments :)